Did you know that the desolate and dry plains of Nevada hide a true gem that no one knows of? A new country within a country! This is real and totally possible, dear Reader. The name is Republic of Molossia, the very first self-proclaimed sovereign country within the United States, governed by His Excellency Kevin Baugh.
The Republic of Molossia is a grand micro-nation and self declared sovereign state located in the state of Nevada. Founded on May 26th 1977 it was first known as the Grand Republic of Vuldstein and it was located in Oregon until 1999. Petite, curious and unique, Molossia has its own history, its own currency, its own rules and regulations
its own post office, borders, culture and everything else you expect to find in a respectable nation.
Here is the welcome message from His Excellency:
Greetings! I would like to wish you a very warm welcome and assure you that I am delighted that you have chosen to visit our official Molossian Website. This site is an important connection to the world, a link transcending the barriers of distance and helping me to fulfill my commitment to the Molossian people to use the office of President to reach out to others. I hope that it will be particularly helpful in educating the world about our nation. This virtual space will be a place where individuals and groups from many different cultures backgrounds and traditions will be able to learn about Molossia; our culture, our history, our government and our people. As one of the smallest nations on Earth, Molossia has a rich heritage and ever-expanding role on the international scene. A bright future lies ahead of us, and by visiting our website you are part of that destiny. I hope that this site will serve as an invaluable information resource on Molossia, in its unique place in the international world of today. Enjoy your visit! The Republic of Molossia is no different from any other sovereign country that you know
As Stanito loves to give advice and travel tips, here are few things you should know prior your visit to the Republic of Molossia:
- Visits are allowed by appointment only and arranged in advance. President Kevin Baugh will be delighted to give you a complete tour of his 11.3-acre country accompanied by his constable chief, Alexia.
- Customs formalities and entry customs rules are simple and are displayed on the Molossia-United States border.
- Passports are not necessarily required to enter Molossia but if you have one it will be stamped upon entry. Other than a valid passport in hand, there are no other visa requirements.
- Permission to visit is granted by His Excellency, who reserves the right to refuse or accept the visitor’s petition.
- Visa allows visitors to enter as tourist for a maximum of three hours after customs control. Visitors without permission are not allowed.
- Foreign nationals are not allowed to take up employment and/or residence within the Republic of Molossia.
- Foreign nationals cannot apply for citizenship in the Republic. Citizenship is reserved to residents of the Republic only.
- The following items are prohibited in the Republic of Molossia: ammunitions, drugs, tobacco, explosives, fire weapons, incandescent lightbulbs, plastic shopping bags, Catfish, “Fresh” Spinach, Missionaries and salesmen, onions and Walruses are also all prohibited. And finally, ANYTHING from Texas is also forbidden to enter Molossia.
For further information and exciting news and discoveries on the Republic of Molossia, stay tuned as our next post will cover the entire tour of this grand little nation! 🙂
This post is advertised on Weekend Wanderlust 🙂 !