Most people know that Reno, Las Vegas‘ little brother, was once the gambling capital of the United States until late 60’s.
Most people from the 80’s will also know that the super fun movie Sister Act was filmed here…
And finally, I think most people will know that Reno is where Levi Strauss Jeans got the first fabric for its jeans with copper rivets, thus creating the famous brand.
But I bet, Dear Reader, here I have 9 (just because I didn’t want to give the typical ’10 things…’) things that you don’t know about this cute little city
- It’s illegal to use bad words in front of a dead body.
- Reno holds the Guinness World Record for most people playing checkers at one time, 540.
- Gambling in Reno can be traced back to pre-colonial times, with games being played in celebration of hunts and harvests.
- Reno’s names comes from a man who has never been to Reno, Jesse Lee Reno, an army officer who served during the Mexican-American War.
- While many people regards Vegas as the marriage capital of the world, Reno, due to a very lax divorce law back in the 30’s, became the divorce capital of the world after 30,000 couples untied the knot between in those years.
- Sex toys are illegal here in Reno….
- It is illegal to lie down on the side walk.
- Before taking the name “Mark Twain,” Samuel Clemens went to Reno to search for gold and silver but returned with empty hands
- Reno is the second drunkest city in America with the third most deaths from liver disease.